Friday, January 24, 2014

From past to present- how to classify games and how they've changed

Sometimes, I think that there is a bit of confusion over how to classify games by their age. New players might call as much as a Gamecube as old, while dedicated fans wouldn't admit that their 8 bit games are retro. So I'm here to try and clarify by how I think of it. The list goes from newest term to oldest term.
New
-3DS to the Wii U
Recent
-DS to Wii
Retro
Game Cube to Gameboy
Vintage
-64/ Super 64 to Virtual Boy
Classic
-NES
Ancient (no offense)
- 8 Bit games and the TV game series and Game and watch.

This is how  classify it.. If you think of it differently, then great. You're a human and have your own opinion. But, if you're ever in doubt of what to call a certain game, then here you go. Also, below I have a little statement about what I think about older video games vs. new ones.

Personally, I have to say I like the games in the retro to vintage games. But don't get me wrong- of course the recent and new are my current favs. But the way I'm thinking about it is how well they were for there time. I love the classic/vintage range because of how "deep" they are and their controls. I like how the story feels deep, as I call it. The first games have lots of back stories and explanations, while more current games just have basic plots and don't give much of an explanation on just why you're playing. Older games will have stories going along with them and fun and zany worlds and puzzles, while in games we just see Bowser step in, snatch up peach, and run off, and all of a sudden you're fighting through tiresome worlds that are more busy work than mind-racking puzzles which older games are known for. Plus, in many of the new games, some of them don't even have any form of puzzle solving, zany fun, or even a decent plot. It's just KILL KILL KILL, and that's about it. I also like the controls as well. Older game controllers feel really comfortable and easy to grip in your hands, while new controllers like Wii remotes are frustrating and hard to play with. Technically, a few games are compatible with the new Classic Controller Pro, but these things cost up to $50 dollars PER CONTROLLER, whereas the GameCube controllers cost about $15 dollars. So, yes, you can almost by controllers for four players at the price of one of the new Pro controllers.  Not to mention that most GameCube games cost as little as, like, $5, where as the new Wii U games cost $50-$60. You can now get nearly decent GameCube games than your average Wii U title, which makes retro gaming a lot cheaper than being a strict 21st century gamer, if you know what I mean. But I hate the old gameboy, NES, and 8 bit stuff because of how frustrating, dull, and limiting they are, to say it harshly.

All in all, as epic as the new games are, never doubt the games of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment